If you’re thinking of interviewing an entrepreneur to find out how they think and to pick their brains on the secrets of success, then you’re going to need a good set of entrepreneur interview questions at your disposal.
In this post, I’m going to share with you some great questions you can ask your next interview with an entrepreneur so that you’ll save time and get the proper information you need.
Why you should interview an entrepreneur
Did you know that by simply interviewing entrepreneurs you can learn a lot more than simply reading about them in a book?
Let me give you two scenarios as an example.
Let’s say that you have a favorite all time celebrity you’ve always dreamed of meeting.
Imagine yourself reading a book about your favorite celebrity and their interests. You read it from cover to finish and it’s an amazing read.
Imagine yourself sitting directly opposite to your favorite celebrity and for the next 60 minutes, you get to ask them any questions you want. By the way, if you’re now thinking of something else which involves your “fantasy thoughts” perhaps you’ve taken this to a whole other level, let’s keep it simple for now
Which scenario would have the highest impact on your life? Would it be the book you read or the real life interaction with this person?
I would assume that your answer would be scenario B – the real life interaction.
We tend to remember something more clearly when we utilize all our senses.
This is one of the biggest advantages of learning how to ask the right interview questions for entrepreneurs.
You will learn more, retain more knowledge and you’ll even have a higher chance of applying the knowledge which as a result, leads to more success.
The secret to asking the right entrepreneur interview questions
There’s also a catch to this. In order to get the most out of the entrepreneur interview, you should also ask the right questions.
As you know, the best questions to ask starts with the following words:
Those are the basic interview questions you should ask that will give you a more open ended answer.
You shouldn’t ask simple one response answers for you definitely won’t learn much from the interview.
For example, here’s a few questions that won’t get you very far in terms of learning.
- Do you like being an entrepreneur? (yes)
- Is it fun being an entrepreneur? (yes)
- How many hours do you sleep? (5-6 hours)
- You wouldn’t want to help me with my business would you? (i’ll get back to you)
- When do you think it’s time to give up? (it’s not in my vocabulary)
So as you can see, the above questions promote a poor quality answer. Sure you’ll get an answer but your time and the entrepreneur’s time would not be utilized effectively.
Here’s a list entrepreneur interview questions you can ask that will provide you a higher quality answer
Below is a list of questions you can ask your next entrepreneur interview. Feel free to modify these questions to suit your style.
- Give a detailed description of the work that you do. What are your job responsibilities?
- How did you get into this job? How easy or difficult it was for you to venture into this business?
- Have you always been interested in this kind of job? If not, what changed your heart to pursue this kind of work?
- Describe your first day on the job. What was the experience like? Any interesting anecdotes that you would like to share?
- What challenges did you encounter on your first day? What challenges do you encounter now?
- What is the hardest part of your job and why?
- What fulfillment do you get from your job?
- Tell me how you earned your first million. How long did it take? What was your reaction when you realized that you are already a millionaire?
- What lessons have you learned upon establishing your company?
- What do you think helped you in your success?
- Where and how do you see yourself five or ten years from now?
- How do you spend money – business and personal-wise? Does saving and knowing how to spend helped you in your growth as a businessman?
- What advice can you give to others so that they too can become millionaires in their own right?
- Give three tips on how to venture into a business such as yours. Kindly elaborate each.
The above questions covers all aspects of being a successful entrepreneur. You’ll get to pick their brains at a financial, creative and emotional level. The responses you get will definitely help you on your way to becoming a successful entrepreneur.
The interview questions are also short and straight to the point. They are easy for the entrepreneur to answer and won’t require a large amount of time to answer them.
Here’s your action steps when setting up your next entrepreneur interview questions.
- Locate 10 entrepreneurs you would like to interview.
- Copy the list of entrepreneur interview questions I explained in this post.
- Send them an email.
- Wait for a response.
- Follow up.
I’ve found that in my personal experience of interviewing several high profile entrepreneurs and celebrities, their PA usually get’s back to me in about 1 week.
Another tip for you when getting answers to your interview questions is to send as many request for interviews out so you have a higher probability of receiving a large number of responses.
I was recently approached by a magazine company to be featured in their next up coming money magazine. If you would like to know my answers to those questions above, please check out my free report “The Secret Entrepreneur Interview” on this website to see my personal answers.
Share your interview questions and answers
If you have any great questions that I can add to the list, please share it
To your success